Wednesday, January 27, 2016

THINGS MY MOTHER GOT RIGHT--by Diane Webb

She never told me I couldn't be what I wanted to be
(for Halloween or when I grew up)
She made my birthday and every Christmas special
She never said I couldn't have seconds, thirds or as much as I wanted to eat
She made sure I had a good education and valued learning
She taught me to never pass up an opportunity to learn or grow
She never said "I told you so" when she could have many, many times
She gave me freedom to be myself even when it had to be extremely annoying to her
She let me learn lessons the hard way but only when I insisted
She made sure I knew that being a female was not a handicap or barrier to success in any way
She made me believe I was just as important as anyone else in the world
She taught me I was no better or no worse than others regardless of wealth, social status, or race
She taught me that money did not define people's value or determine success
She taught me to fight for those who could not or would not fight for themselves
She did not allow me to give up or stop because I had failed or had made a terrible mistake
She did not let me know when we were poor
She made our meals wonderful even when she couldn't buy groceries
She put herself in debt sometimes to make sure I had things I wanted but did not really need
She made everything fun even when it was work
She always tried to give me a better chance and a better life than she had
She taught me to never back down and to always stand my ground for what I believed in
She taught me that "right is right and wrong is wrong all over the world"
She taught me that mothers are mothers because they are mothers and not because they will be understood, appreciated, or respected for it
She showed me what it really means to love someone "for better or worse, in sickness and in health, and for richer or poorer" (which applied to us children as well as our father)
I am so thankful to have had such a smart, strong, capable woman as a role model



No comments:

Post a Comment